Spinal cord injuries can be one of the most serious and life-changing injuries to sustain. Not only are spinal cord injuries incredibly painful, but they also carry the added risk of paralysis or mobility impairment. As highlighted on The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis website, there are approximately 17,810 new spinal cord injuries each year in the US alone.
If you have been unfortunate enough to suffer from a spinal cord injury that was sustained through an accident that wasn’t your fault, then it is strongly advised to get in touch with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. At The Law Place, we have a team of highly skilled accident attorneys with over 75 years of combined experience in dealing with the Florida legal system. A personal injury attorney will investigate your case and will work tirelessly alongside you to ensure you receive any compensation that you may be entitled to.
Our Englewood phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so don’t hesitate to give us a call at a time most convenient for you. Call us today to arrange a free consultation with an adept accident attorney.
What Is a Spinal Cord Injury?
Spinal cord injuries occur when a person damages their backbone. Injuries involving the spinal cord are particularly dangerous as the spinal cord is a very important part of the body’s central nervous system, and if damaged, it can have serious and life-changing consequences, which could even result in paralysis. The severity of the mobility impairment will depend on the extent of injury and damage caused.
It is also worthwhile noting that not all spinal cord injuries are life-changing, and it is possible that a spinal cord injury could just result in bruising or swelling. No matter the extent of your spinal cord injury, here at The Law Place, our defense lawyers will work alongside you to ensure you receive the best possible outcome for your case.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Spinal Injuries in Englewood, FL?
There are a number of ways in which you could sustain a spinal cord injury in Englewood. Some of the most common ways a spinal cord injury may occur are:
- Motor vehicle accidents – Car accidents often result in catastrophic damages or injury and are the most common cause of spinal cord injuries. As noted by the Mayo Clinic, auto and motorcycle collisions are the cause of almost half of the recorded spinal cord injuries each year.
- Slip and fall accidents – Many spinal cord injuries occur because of slip and fall accidents. Unfortunately often these accidents occur because of someone else’s negligence. If you have suffered a spinal cord injury due to property negligence, then it is likely that you will be entitled to compensation.
- Violent acts – Unfortunately, many people get injured as a result of violent acts, such as assault. Gunshot wounds, stabbings, and the assault itself can cause spinal cord injuries.
Whatever the cause of your spinal cord injury, at The Law Place, we will do our utmost best to ensure you receive any compensation that you may be entitled to. Call our Englewood offices today to arrange a free consultation with an adept spinal cord injury lawyer.
Categories of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can be split into two categories as follows:
- Complete – Injuries fall into this category when there is a total loss of function and sensation beneath the damaged part of the spinal cord.
- Incomplete -Injuries fall into this category when there is still some sensation and function beneath the damaged part of the spinal cord.
No matter in which category that your spinal cord falls into, it is likely that either way, you will be able to claim compensation for any damage and injuries you are facing. To find out what damages you may be entitled to, call The Law Place today to arrange a free consultation with an adept personal injury lawyer.
Common Injuries Sustained as a Result of a Spinal Cord Injury
Possible injuries sustained as a result of a spinal cord injury vary greatly from minor to severe. Some of the most common injuries are:
- Loss of bowel or bladder control.
- Lack of coordination.
- Loss of movement.
- Coughing or breathing difficulties.
- Damage to the nerves.
- Stinging or tingling sensations.
- Exaggerated reflexes.
- Sensational difficulties.
- Problems with perceptions of touch and temperature.
- Intense pain in the neck, head, or back.
- Changes in sexual desire and sensitivity.
What Damages Can I Claim Following a Spinal Cord Injury in Englewood?
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your spinal cord injury, there are a number of damages that you may be able to claim. A personal injury lawyer will work to assess what compensation you may be entitled to and will work tirelessly to ensure you receive the best possible outcome. Possible damages that you may be able to claim are:
- Medical bills – If you have suffered from a spinal cord injury that has meant that you have required medical care, then you will be able to receive compensation for this, as well as any appointments, treatments, or other expenses relating to medical bills.
- Loss of income or earning capacity – If your spinal cord injury has meant that you are unable to attend work, or earn the same amount of wages as you were achieving before the accident took place, then you may be entitled to claim compensation for this.
- Pain and suffering – If the accident and sustained injuries have left you with emotional distress and trauma in any way, or has prevented you from living the life you once lived before the accident took place, then it is likely you will be entitled to compensation. It is important to note that pain and suffering are often hard to prove in court, and therefore it is critical that you have a personal injury lawyer on your side that can prove it.
- Wrongful death – If you are unfortunate enough to lose a loved one as a result of a spinal cord injury, then you may be able to claim damages that cover their funeral expenses, loss of income as well as loss of consortium.
Whilst we know that no amount of damages can make up for the trauma and personal injury you have suffered, but we hope that by claiming compensation, we can help relieve the emotional distress and financial burden that you may be facing. Don’t hesitate to give our Englewood offices a call at any time of day and receive valuable legal advice on the next best steps to take to ensure a positive outcome.
Call The Law Place in Englewood, FL., Today!
If you have been unfortunate enough to suffer from a spinal cord injury as a result of an accident that wasn’t your fault, then it is strongly recommended that you seek the expertise of a spinal cord injury lawyer as soon as you possibly can. At The Law Place, we have an adept team of injury lawyers with over 75 years of collective experience under their belt. Our lawyers are well versed in handling the Florida legal system and have dealt with many cases similar to yours.
At our law firm, our injury lawyers fully understand how frightening and stressful a personal injury can be. By seeking representation from a personal injury lawyer, they will work to assess what damages you may be liable to claim. From there, they will work to gather crucial evidence and information to support your claim and will fight tirelessly on your behalf to ensure you receive any compensation you are deserving of. It is also worthwhile mentioning that many of our injury lawyers are AVVO rated 10.0, which is the highest possible rating, so you can rest assured that your case will be left in knowledgeable and competent hands. This rating is awarded based on trial skills, awards, length of service, and client testimonials.
At our law firm, we offer all our customers a free consultation where we will assess the legitimacy of your case and offer comprehensive legal advice on the best steps to take to ensure you receive a positive outcome. Our Englewood offices are open around the clock, so feel free to call us at a time most convenient for you and receive valuable legal advice on the best way to proceed. What are you waiting for? Call us to speak to a spinal cord injury lawyer and get started with your case today.