When you lose a loved one, this can be a very painful time. With the added stress of funeral costs alongside your grief, it can become overwhelming for all those involved.
When this involves a family member dying unexpectedly as a result of someone else’s negligence, this adds to the stress. In these types of cases, you may be able to file for wrongful death in Punta Gorda and receive some sort of financial compensation. This will assist you with any additional costs during this very stressful time. If you want to pursue this, then you will need the help of a law firm that has wrongful death lawyers.
If you have unfortunately experienced a wrongful death in Punta Gorda, then it is very important that you contact one of our wrongful death lawyers here at The Law Place. Our team here at The Law Place will provide you with the reassurance that you need to secure justice for your loved one.
Contact us today at (941) 444-4444, where you can schedule your free consultation. Phone lines are open 24/7.
In This Article
- Do I Have a Wrongful Death Claim in Punta Gorda, FL?
- How Does the Florida Wrongful Death Statute Work?
- What Damages Can Be Claimed in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- Contact The Law Place Today!
Do I Have a Wrongful Death Claim in Punta Gorda, FL?
Before you decide to speak to a law firm here in Florida, then it is an important thing to consider to seek more information on wrongful death in Punta Gorda, Fl.
Firstly, it is important that you clarify what counts as wrongful death. In layman’s terms, a wrongful death occurs when a person commits a negligent or “wrongful” death. When looking at this in legal terms, some of the most common causes of wrongful death include:
- Battery or assault.
- Accidental death that occurs while committing another crime.
- Vehicular manslaughter.
If one of your loved ones has died as a result of one of these causes, then you may be able to sue on behalf of your family.
The executor of the deceased’s estate and also the decedent’s remaining family members are able to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
To be able to determine if you have a wrongful death claim or not, you need to understand the Florida wrongful death act. However, if you are uncertain about this, then contact a wrongful death claim lawyer today in Punta Gorda. They will be able to guide you through the legal process. Additionally, the sooner you contact them, the better the chances are for your claim. Whoever you hire as your legal representative, our team of wrongful death lawyers here at The Law Place are knowledgeable on and experienced in cases like yours.
How Does the Florida Wrongful Death Statute Work?
According to Florida Statute 768.21, a surviving family member is able to seek damages for a loss of a loved one through a wrongful death claim.
Under this statute, if you are a surviving family member of the individual who wrongfully died in Punta Gorda, FL., then you may be able to claim monetary compensation. This amount can be equal to the value of support the deceased provided from the day they were injured until the date of their death. This statute also allows you to claim any compensation for future damages you will experience from the loss.
If you want to determine if you are eligible to file for a wrongful death lawsuit in Punta Gorda, you must have one of the following relationships with the deceased. These include:
- A person suing for emotional and financial support due to the loss of their spouse.
- A minor child receiving compensation for the loss of their parent and financial guardian.
- Adult children suing if there are no minor children and if the deceased person has no living spouse.
- Parents suing for mental pain due to the loss of their minor child.
- Parents suing for mental anguish due to the loss of their adult child, as long as the adult child has no other surviving family members, such as children or a spouse.
What Damages Can Be Claimed in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
If you are unaware of the specific damages you may be able to claim in a wrongful death lawsuit here in Punta Gorda; they may include:
- Reimbursement of funeral or medical expenses.
- Lost wages that would have been provided to the household.
- Emotional support or mental anguish because of loss of companionship.
- Loss of net income from an estate.
Contact The Law Place Today!
At The Law Place, we understand no money will ever be able to replace the loss of a loved one. That is why we are here to take away the stress of dealing with the Florida legal system. We are also here to fight for your right to justice and compensation.
If you believe that the loss of your loved one was a result of wrongful death, then our team of lawyers is here to help.
Call us today at (941) 444-4444, where our phone lines are open 24/7, to schedule your free consultation with us today.