It is important to learn everything about the process of making a personal injury claim when you are involved in a Florida car accident. Every car accident case is unique, and a personal injury lawyer from The Law Place will be able to help you straighten out the facts and build a strong claim.
The Law Place has over seventy-five years of combined experience in fighting to recover compensation for clients involved in car accidents all over the State of Florida. Our law firm will work closely with you to determine fault in a car accident case, and we will make sure that you are covered for your costs, damages, and losses.
A personal injury lawyer will negotiate with the insurance companies and deal with the necessary paperwork in order to make your recovery as easy as possible. Reach out to The Law Place today, and a personal injury lawyer will answer all of the questions that you might have.
Contact us now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight your car accident claim together in the State of Florida.
Determining the Amount of a Car Accident Settlement
A personal injury lawyer will be able to determine the amount of money that you will win in a car accident settlement, depending on the facts and circumstances of your unique case. A car accident can range from a small collision to a severe crash resulting in serious injuries and property damage.
For example, a minor accident without injuries will mean that your settlement will be less than what you would get in an accident that resulted in serious injuries and property damage.
Florida law states that you must contact law enforcement if your car accident resulted in:
- Personal injuries.
- Wrongful death.
- Property damage over $500.
However, it is always best to alert law enforcement of a car crash, even if it does not meet the above criteria. This is because you could be entitled to compensation, even for a minor accident.
What Is the Average Car Accident Settlement in Florida?
It is impossible to say exactly what you will get for your compensation claim as the amount will vary from case to case. The average car accident settlement is $15,443, according to a report by the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association. However, the average settlement will be much higher if the injuries sustained in the car accident are much more severe. It is possible that your car accident settlement will either be more or less than $15,000, depending on the extent of your injuries, determined fault, and the evidence provided in the case.
If you wish to obtain the maximum amount of compensation to cover all of your damages and injuries, then seek legal representation from The Law Place.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident With Whiplash?
A car accident that caused whiplash will often receive a settlement ranging between $10,00 and $20,000. Whiplash is a painful injury that deserves compensation that will cover your medical expenses, prescription medication, overnight stays at the hospital, physical therapy, and more.
No-Fault Average Car Accident Settlements in Florida
Florida is recognized as being a no-fault state, which means that minor injuries from car accidents will be resolved according to the no-fault state laws. On the other hand, car accidents with serious injuries will often end up in court. For other car accidents in Florida, the victims will have to resolve their case by speaking to their own insurance companies.
What Is the Average No-Fault Settlement in Florida?
The no-fault law has a system for the amount of compensation that is available for each type of injury in the State of Florida. It is worth noting that your no-fault insurance will pay up to 80 percent of your medical expenses and up to 60 percent for your lost wages. It is also possible to recover compensation for costs of travel to and from your medical treatment appointments.
Your no-fault insurance will pay you up to the limits of your policy. Most people tend to have a limit of up to $10,000 in the State of Florida. For car accident cases that do not involve a serious medical emergency, you will usually only be able to recover up to $2,500 in compensation.
What Do I Do Following a Car Accident in Florida?
A car accident can very easily make people feel overwhelmed and scared, which is perfectly understandable. However, it is also worth trying to keep a steady mind as you go through this process, and a personal injury lawyer will be able to help you achieve just that.
The Law Place advises that you follow these steps after being involved in a car accident:
- Health and safety – Do your best to remain calm and put your health and safety first.
- Check for any injuries – It is very important to check yourself over to see if you have sustained any injuries. If you are uninjured, then make yourself available to offer reasonable assistance to other drivers who were injured in the crash. However, try not to move anyone with serious injuries, such as to the head, spine, or neck.
- Police department – You are obliged to call the police department to the location of the crash according to Florida Statute 316.062.
- Emergency services – Immediately call an ambulance if any injuries were sustained in the car accident.
- Collect evidence – Pictures of the accident, injuries, damage to the cars, and condition of the road are valuable pieces of evidence when you want to file a personal injury claim later. It is also important to get the contact information of the drivers, including names, phone numbers, and vehicle registration numbers.
- Witnesses – A witness can be very useful in pursuing a personal injury claim, so you should ask for their contact information too.
- Medical attention – You must seek medical treatment as soon as possible following a car crash, even if you think that you escaped the accident uninjured. A medical report will also greatly influence your personal injury claim later.
- Call your insurance company – You are obliged to call your insurance company within 24 hours to notify them of your car accident. Do not tell your insurance company anything about your crash – no detail, no information, nothing. Otherwise, they might use what you said against you as a way to make a low settlement offer. Remember that a personal injury lawyer from The Law Place can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
- Keep a journal – You might want to consider writing down the severity of your injuries, pain and suffering, and any changes that you have had to make to your daily life following a car crash in a journal. A personal injury lawyer will be able to use this information to support your claim later.
- Report to the police – You must file a report to the relevant police department within 10 days after a car accident.
- Legal representation – In order to file a claim for compensation, you will have to seek legal representation from a reputable law firm like The Law Place.
Types of Car Crash Injuries and Compensation That You Could Be Entitled to
A car accident has the potential to cause many different types of injuries. Some of the most common injuries in car accidents tend to include:
- Joint, muscle, back, neck, and bone injuries.
- Knee damage.
- Loss of limbs.
- Burns and scars.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Head injuries.
- Permanent disability.
The Law Place will help you to recover compensation for any types of injuries, damages, and losses incurred following your car crash. A personal injury lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company of the at-fault driver and make sure that you receive the best settlement offer possible. Rest assured that we will not let any of your injuries go without being fully compensated for, and we will fight any insurance company that tries to reduce your payout.
Remember to share every piece of information and detail about your car accident with your personal injury lawyer so that they can develop a strong case.
Damages for a Car Accident in Florida
Car accidents can result in many different types of unfortunate injuries and losses that must be fully compensated. Some of the most common types of damages include:
- Medical expenses – Injuries can be very expensive to treat, which is why you must keep documentation for all costs such as surgery, prescription medication, transportation to and from the hospital, rehabilitation, and physical therapy. Serious injuries will often require expensive surgery, hospitalization, and possibly even long-term care, examples of which include brain damage or neck and back injuries. A personal injury lawyer will make sure that you receive full compensation for all of your past, present, and future medical expenses.
- Loss of income – Taking time off work can seriously hurt your finances, especially if you have to stop working for a long period of time due to the extent of your injuries. Many car accident victims will have a pile of medical bills to pay in the aftermath, which is why you must hire a lawyer to ensure that you receive full compensation for any earnings that you have missed or any changes to your income since your crash.
- Property damage – After a car accident, you are not the only one who might have suffered injuries. Vehicles also suffer very badly, and the costs to repair them can be very expensive. A personal injury lawyer will negotiate with the insurance companies to make sure that you are fully covered for any property damage. This also includes any damage to your clothes, mobile phone, and other possessions that were in your vehicle at the time of the car accident.
- Pain and suffering – The aftermath of a car accident can weigh heavily on a person and might cause them pain and suffering. This includes serious emotional trauma, mental anguish, depression, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), and more. If you are experiencing any intense pain on a daily basis, whether physical, mental, or emotional, following a car accident, then you could be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering. This also includes losing your enjoyment for life or being unable to engage in your usual activities like you could before the car crash.
- Wrongful death – A car accident is a very traumatic event in a person’s life. But having to lose your spouse or family member in a car accident is even more devastating. In this case, you could be entitled to file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover compensation for any expenses that may have incurred following their passing, such as funeral expenses, medical bills, and loss of consortium.
- Loss of companionship – If you were to be tragically killed in a car accident, then compensation would be available for your spouse or family members to claim for the loss of your companionship.
Contact The Law Place Today
If you are wondering what the average settlement would be for a car accident in the State of Florida, then feel free to reach out to The Law Place, and we will answer all of your questions today.
The Law Place has over seventy-five years of collective experience in winning car accident settlements for clients throughout the State of Florida. Our practice areas cover car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, multi-vehicle accidents, and more. Our team of skilled personal injury attorneys has the ability to provide relentless representation for clients who are facing difficult situations.
If you put your faith and trust in us, then we will be sure to succeed in your claim for compensation. A personal injury lawyer will investigate your car accident case, pull together facts and evidence, get statements from eyewitnesses, negotiate with your insurance company, and deal with all of the paperwork so that you can take the time that you need to recover from your injuries.
Our personal injury attorneys will estimate the value of your case, and they will make sure that all of your medical bills, property damages, lost wages, and pain and suffering are fully compensated – no matter what. Get in touch with The Law Place, and we will be at your side every step of the way.
Contact us now on (941) 444-4444 to schedule a free consultation, and we will fight your car accident claim together in the State of Florida. Our phone lines are open 24/7.